Makes 8-12 egg rolls
- 1 lb ground turkey (or pork... Or chicken.. whatevs)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cabbage (about a quarter-head)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 quart peanut oil -- now this stuff is expen$ive, if you want to save the pennies, just buy a 1 1/2 pint bottle like I did and cook only a few rolls at a time. But I'm telling you, peanut oil is the way to go.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8-12 egg roll wrappers (depends on how big/stuffed you want them -- we ended up with 12)
- Start warming your peanut oil in a pot to about 350ºF.
- Brown your ground turkey/chicken/pork in a large skillet on medium-high heat. If you use pork, make sure to spoon out most of the fat after it browns. Season the meat with the ginger, garlic salt, onion powder and salt. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the cabbage and carrots. Add the meat to it and mix well.
- Combine the flour and water in a small bowl to make a paste and set aside for a moment.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper with one of the points pointed toward you. Place about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the cabbage mixture in the middle of your wrapper. Fold the closest point away from you, over the top of the mixture. Bring in the left and right points to the center. Rub a small amount of paste over the remaining corner of the egg roll and then roll the bundle away from you, over the last point.
- When your oil is hot enough, place an egg roll or two in the pot. Let the egg rolls sizzle for about 10 seconds and turn them over for another 10 seconds or so. When the egg rolls start to brown, remove from oil and place on a paper towel (they will brown a little more even after removed... Don't burn them!).
Easy Homemade Egg Rolls Reviewed by Justin Jamil on 23:23 Rating: